Saturday, January 16, 2010

Easiest Chocolate "Ice Cream"...Ever!


I scream, you scream, we all scream for.....well, Paleo ice cream? While I think the most stringent Paleo purists might not eat this ice cream because it has sugar (in the chocolate and Irish cream), in my opinion it's fine for special occasions. Everyone has to have a splurge now and then. The recipe calls for alcohol (Irish cream has a ton of sugar, I'm sure) but I think you could do without it if you increased the almond milk. The alcohol keeps it from freezing solidly like a rock. Ice cream is not health food, no matter how it's disguised. So, if you're okay with treating yourself, go right ahead. Plus, you KNOW what went in this. This recipe is adapted from www.davidlebovitz.com.

I was particularly looking for a non-ice-cream-machine recipe since I don't have an ice cream maker and think that would be a particularly bad thing for me to buy.

Ingredients:

2 oz. dark or semisweet chocolate (I used TJ's Organic 73% Dark Chocolate)
6 tbsp almond milk (homemade worked fine)
6 tbsp Irish cream
1 medium-sized, ripe banana, chopped
1 tbsp dark rum

Directions:

1. Pour almond milk into microwave safe container.

2. Chop the chocolate into small bits. Add to the almond milk.


3. Microwave and stir frequently, until chocolate bits are melted.

4. Meanwhile, in another bowl, combine Irish cream, banana and rum. Pour the chocolate/milk into this bowl and stir.

5. Pour the mixture into a blender and whirl until smooth. (Or, use an immersion blender).

6. Put back into the bowl and pop in the freezer until it's firm.


This is a rich recipe, so I found only a little went a long way to make me feel satisfied. The site I adapted this recipe from called it "The Easiest Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe...Ever". I think it's a well-earned name!

No comments:

Post a Comment