Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Pre-ride Choco-Banana Groats


This is one of my favorite pre-ride or anytime breakfasts. You can find buckwheat groats in bulk at Whole Foods. I haven't found them anywhere else other than online. And just a side note for those unfamiliar with buckwheat: contrary to popular belief, buckwheat contains no wheat. Part of the rhubarb family, buckwheat is actually a fruit seed. Neat, huh? Now onto the recipe.

In a bowl, combine:

1 banana
1/2 - 3/4 cup cooked buckwheat groats
1 Tbsp. cocoa powder (organic is good, raw is best)
1 Tbsp. sunflower seeds
small handful of sliced or slivered almonds*
desired amount of milk/soy milk/almond milk, etc.

*If you're slicing whole almonds, it makes life much easier if you soak them overnight first. Just put desired amount in some water, soak overnight, then rinse in the morning and refrigerate what you don't use. This also increases their digestibility and nutritional value. This isn't required though - but be careful if you're slicing/chopping raw almonds because they tend to shoot all over the kitchen if you're not careful! Give soaking a try.

One last note about buckwheat groats -- I find that if you're using them as a cereal, the best way to cook them is using just slightly less than a 2:1 water-grain ratio. So if you cook a half cup of groats, use slightly less than one cup of water. They only take about 10-15 minutes to cook. I usually do this once or twice a week so I have some refrigerated and ready to go.

Bon appetit!


PS - I hesitated a little to include a picture because it tastes WAAAAYYYY better than it looks! LOL


2 comments:

  1. Sounds super tasty, actually! I'd venture to guess not paleo, but definitely gluten/wheat free for anyone on an anti-inflammatory diet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also digests easily so it's a good pre-ride meal. If I have less time to digest before riding, I usually omit the nuts and use slightly less groats. It doesn't leave any bloaty feeling nor do I taste it on the trail. :)

    ReplyDelete